Bean is a small, easy-to-use word processor that is designed to make writing convenient, efficient and comfortable. Bean is lean, fast and uncluttered. It starts up quickly, has a live word count, and is easy on the eyes. Also, Bean is available free of charge.
Bean has some limitations: it doesn't do footnotes or use stylesheets and is only partially compatible with Word's file formats. Also, it allows in-line graphics, but not floating graphics.
Screenshots & Tour / Read about file formats
• live word count
• make template documents
• free-form headers and footers
• page layout view (optional 2-up)
• dark mode, alternate colors
• split-window editing
• full screen / focus mode editing
• date-stamped backups
• find panel with regular expressions
• word completion, dictionary
• inspector for formatting
• select by text style
• floating window
• Version 3.4.6, Released 22 Dec 2021 Changelog
• for macOS Monterey (12), Big Sur (11), Catalina (10.15), Mojave (10.14), and High Sierra (10.13)
• Included localizations: Catalan, Chinese (Mainland), Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Slovak, Spanish
Versions for older macs:
Bean 3.2.9 for macOS Sierra 10.12
Bean 3.2.5 for OS X 10.5 to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
Bean 3.1.1 for PowerPC Macs running OS X 10.5
Bean 2.4.5 for PowerPC Macs running OS X 10.4
List of all previous versions.
To install, double-click the downloaded .zip file. This will unarchive a folder named Bean-Install. Inside this folder you will find Bean.app, which you can drag into your Applications folder. You can then trash the .zip file and the Bean-Install folder. If you are upgrading versions, be sure to quit the older version first.
FAQ / Troubleshooting
Answers to common questions about Bean are here. For troubleshooting, click here.
Cost / License / Sourcecode / Warranty
Bean is provided at no monetary cost.
Bean.app is released under The Bean Word Processor Software License.
Bean 3.x is closed source.
Bean comes with no warranty; you assume all the risk of using it.
Report bugs, give feedback, or ask questions here: jnrh2001 (at) yahoo (dot) com.
Instructions for localization here.